News bites

In order to be a more informed individual, I try to avoid watching television news. Television news is an abortion of valuable information and critical thought. It's really just entertainment packaged as worldly knowledge. It's a joke. But still I watch.
This morning I was caught by three sound bites.
A raver in Seattle lost his grip on the real world and squeezed off a few rounds at a party. He managed to kill six people before turning a shotgun on himself and bowing out. It's too bad. It's a horrible thing to do at a party or anywhere else. But on this morning's national news they (you know, the idiots who "anchor" these "news" programs) had a psychologist on who explained that at these raves there are some "kids with serious issues." No shit? Thanks, doc. I call that reality. You ever been to the DMV? The mall? A school dance? A post-holiday sale? On the freeway? To a Chicago Cubs game? EVERYWHERE YOU GO THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES!
There was a lot of discussion of the half million people in Los Angeles who joined together to show support for undocumented immigrants in the United States. There is a lot happening in Congress on the issue of undocumented (or "illegal" as the reactionaries say - more on that in a bit) immigrants and the debate is about to take center stage. So 500,000 people got together to make a statement; basically, "respect human beings and don't do anything dumb and mean-spirited." I think it's great. I think we need to value all human beings and what they contribute. But I'm not a reactionary, right-winged Christian. But let me get back to the coverage. The expert Republican on this morning's program was very critical of "illegals" and what they do to the American workforce. "They keep wages low for the American worker." What?! The party that vehemently opposed raising the minimum wage and wants to destroy labor unions is suddenly concerned about the wages of the American worker? The group of yahoos in congress that pushes unbalanced trade agreements that make it easier for labor jobs to be exported is worried about the American worker? Yes, because it's convenient and it's an election year. Plus it's an argument that's a lot easier to make publicly than the true racist motives.
Okay, an aside on this whole "illegal" thing. Really, give it up. Undocumented immigrants may have used unlawful means to enter the country, but no human being is illegal. If breaking the law makes you an illegal person, then I am an illegal American. I have been cited for reckless driving and other non-driving vehicle violations. Didn't our president use cocaine? I guess he's an illegal, too.
And finally, you can get arrested in Texas for getting drunk . . . IN A BAR. That's right. If you go to a bar with your friends and get drunk, you can get hauled into jail. I just got back from SXSW in Austin and somehow escaped this Gestapo-style law enforcement. Proponents say it helps reduce the chances of drunk drivers creating problems. The problem with that argument? Well, not everyone who gets drunk at a bar is driving. Many of them take cabs or have designated drivers. Some of the people who have been arrested were drinking at the bar in their hotel. Is it illegal to operate an elevator after drinking? I can see hauling someone in for drunk and disorderly, it makes sense. But if you haven't noticed the world's a messed up place. And I should be able to go out and get just as messed up as the world in order to deal with it.
Like to drink? Me too. You might get a charge out of this piece on drinkers fighting back against reactionaries. Mohalo.


1 Comments:
I'm convinced that you're "illegal," Mr. Uetz. But can you name one way in which you're "legal?"
Post a Comment
<< Home